Game: Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix
Formats: PS4, XBO, Switch
Developer: Bamtang Games
Release: Out Now
One of the best genres in gaming is the kart racer. Ever since Mario Kart first came out in 1992, gamers have loved any chance to jump on the couch with their friends to race around ridiculous tracks filled with obstacles and power-ups. It’s usually a great chance for us to experience a mix of our favourite heroes in the same game, too. And, of course, that is one of the features that makes this sequel to Nickelodeon Kart Racers so cool.
You can read through the full list of characters in the boxout, but it’s a huge roster of familiar faces from the Nickelodeon TV channel. There’s more than double the characters of the last game from a much broader range of shows. Racing as each of them – in their own little karts – is awesome. Plus, there are stacks of customisations you can unlock for each of the karts to help give them a bit of added personality. This include part upgrades as well as visual changes.
As you’d hope, there’s four-player splitscreen to enjoy with your friends. But this time around there is also an eight-player online mode, too. This joins your other typical Kart racing modes like Cups, Time Trials and Battles. In all there is a healthy 28 circuits to race through, as well as two arenas to battle in. All of which feature locations you will recognise from the various Nickelodeon shows.
There’s classic kart racing to be had here. The tracks look spectacular thanks to improved visuals and they’re filled with boosts and power-ups that you can unleash to try and get an advantage mid-race. You can also fill up your slime bar that brings stunts and cool tricks into play when you launch of jumps. It should come as no surprise that there is plenty of slime to watch out for as well.
The first Nickelodeon Kart Racers title was solid, but this sequel really goes a lot bigger. There’s been a lot of great improvements to the gameplay, there’s stacks more characters to try out and some great multiplayer experiences to enjoy. If you’re looking for a great game to turn on when your friends come over, and you love the Nickelodeon TV series, then what are you waiting for?
Start your engines!
Did You Know
An Xbox Series X version of the game has also been confirmed, although we’re not too sure when it will come out.
List of Playable Characters
There are 30 characters available to race in Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2. There’s an additional 70 companion characters, too. You don’t race as these side characters, but instead you can collect them and use them to build out your pit crew, giving your kart certain buffs. So, who can you actually control? Let’s take a look:
- Tommy Pickles (Rugrats)
- Chuckie Finster (Rugrats)
- Angelica Pickles (Rugrats)
- Reptar (Rugrats)
- Ren Höek (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
- Stimpy J. Cat (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
- Rocko Rama (Rocko’s Modern Life)
- Heffer Wolfe (Rocko’s Modern Life)
- Arnold Shortman (Hey Arnold!)
- Gerald Johanssen (Hey Arnold!)
- Helga Pataki (Hey Arnold!)
- CatDog (CatDog)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Patrick Star (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Squidward Tentacles (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Zim (Invader Zim)
- GIR (Invader Zim)
- Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
- Aang (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
- Korra (The Legend of Korra)
- Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Donatello (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Michelangelo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Raphael (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Shredder (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Lincoln Loud (The Loud House)
- Lucy Loud (The Loud House)
- Clyde McBride (The Loud House)
- JoJo Siwa